Rice and Fish are the soul foods of Bengal. A Bengali meal is never complete without fish and rice.That's why there is a famous saying for the bengali people....."Mache bhate bangali".."Fish and rice make a bengali".
I learned this recipe from my mother.It's very simple and easy to prepare, where the slightly fried rohu fish pieces are cooked in poppy seed paste and tomato.
Here is the recipe:
- Rohu/Katla fish pieces:4
- Poppy seed paste:4 tbsp
- Tomato:2(thinely chopped)
- Mustard oil:4-5 tbsp
- Kalonji(Nigella seeds):1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder:1/2 tsp
- Salt:As per taste
- Green chilli:2-3(or as much you want)
- Wash the rohu fish piecess and marinate them with little salt and turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of oil for 2-4 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and slightly fry the fish and keep them aside.
- Dont use the same fried oil for cooking as it can turn the color of the curry blackish.
- So,heat some fresh oil in an another pan and add the nigella seeds and 2 green chillis.
- When the seeds start to splutter add the chopped tomato.
- When the tomatoes become soft and pulpy add the poppy seed paste and mix well.
- Add little turmeric powder and salt.
- After few minutes add the water.
- Now when the gravy starts to boil add the fried pieces of fish.
- Cook them until your desired consistancy.
- Turn off the gas.
- Add 2 green chillis and sprinkle little mustard oil on the curry.
- Serve hot with steaming hot rice.