One more luscious Hilsa recipe I am going to share today. Monsoon is about to say bid adieu to the state still the Bangladeshi fish supplier is supplying us very good quality hilsa and this time I made a new recipe with it which I learned from one of my very good friend.
So, here is the entire process:
- Hilsa/Ilish:4-5 piece
- Freshly grated Coconut paste:4 tbsp(no coconut milk or powder)
- Poppy seeds paste:2 tbsp
- Green chili:4-5,slitted
- Nigella seeds:1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder:1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil:5 tbsp
- Hot water:1 cup
- Clean and wash the hilsa pieces and rub it with a little turmeric powder & salt.
- Keep it for 5 minutes.
- Make a paste of freshly grated coconut and poppy seeds.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a pan/wok.
- Fry the hilsa pieces slightly. Take them out of the pan and keep separately. You may discard the oil and pour it into a separate bowl for eating raw with steaming hot rice. That is another favorite of us, Bengali.
- Heat a tbsp of fresh oil..
- Temper with nigella seeds and slitted green chilies.
- Add coconut-poppy seeds paste.
- Cook it by stirring it continuously for 4-5 minutes.
- Add a cup of hot water when the nice aroma of coconut-poppy seeds paste comes out. Give few nice stirs.
- Add the hilsa pieces and chilies when the gravy starts boiling.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add a tsp of raw mustard oil on the top. You may add few more slitted green chilies if you want .
- Sprinkle little freshly grated coconut on the top and serve it hot with steamed rice.
Enjoy Your Food....!!!