On a lazy Sunday evening I found few chicken drumsticks in my deep fridge but couldn't decide what to do with them,as I didn't want to go for an usual preparation .The other day ,in a magazine I read about some traditional Mughlai foods. The Muslim rulers were lovers of creamy dishes full of spices and nuts . Then I thought The Chicken Korma would be the best for our Sunday dinner. Though I knew that Chicken Korma usually is made with the boneless pieces but I wanted to give a try to make the dish with those drumsticks and the result was just fantastic.
This Lush, Creamy and Spicy Chicken Korma was brought to India by the Mughal emperors who conquered the land from the 16th to the 18th century. I should mention here that the word korma, refers to the style of cooking in which meat or vegetables are stewed in a yogurt sauce.
Here is the recipe:
Chicken: 500 gm(boneless/boned)
Unsweetened Yoghurt:1/2 cup
Onion: 2 medium (Chopped)
Ginger : 1" (Paste)
Garlic:6 ( paste)
Tomato Puree:2 tsp
Turmeric Powder:1 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder:1tsp
Coriander Powder:1/2 tsp
Poppy Seed : 1tsp(paste)
Almond:2 tsp(Toasted and ground to powder)
Garam Masala Powder: 1 tsp
Heavy Cream:2-3 tbsp
Coconut Cream/Desiccated coconut:3-4 tbsp
Salt:As per taste
- Beat the yoghurt and mix it with the chicken pieces along with turmeric and salt.
- Set it aside for half an hour.
- Heat Ghee (or oil) in a large deep skillet.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cardamoms and the cloves.
- Cook for 1 min .When the aroma comes out add the onion and cook gently for about 4-5 mins until the onions are soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste, tomato puree and cook for more 3-4 minutes.
- Then add turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder,salt and sugar cook for an additional 3 minutes (until aromatic) .
- Add the poppy seed paste.
- Add the chicken with the marinade and the coconut, mix until combined and when the oil starts to release add water .
- Then cover and cook on a gentle simmer until the chicken is tender.It may took a longer period if you are using boned chicken pieces.
- Add the heavy cream and the ground almonds and mix well.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder.
- Add the chopped cashews and raisins.
- Serve with rice or paratha garnishing with chopped cilantro/coriander leaves.
Enjoy Your Food..!!