Prawn Kalia….. I know the term is not very conversant …but that day when the Pescafresh (one of the most famous sea food company in India) delivered me some excellent quality jumbo prawns I thought of preparing something unlikely with those. So,I opted for "Prawn Kalia" or in other words "Spicy Prawn Curry". The recipe I followed which is almost similar to the usual Bengali fish kalia recipe but the prawn kalia was tasted much better than that.
Here goes the recipe:
- Jumbo Prawns: 10-12 nos. (Marinated with salt, turmeric powder and 2 tsp. of oil and kept it for 5-10 minutes).
- Potato (medium size,1 or 2 nos) : diced.
- Onion Paste: 3 tbsp.
- Ginger Paste: 1 tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1 tbsp.
- Chopped Tomato : 2 nos.
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp .(for tempering)
- Cinnamon Sticks: 1
- Cardamoms: 3-4 nos.
- Cloves: 3-4 nos.
- Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter) : 3-4 tbsp.
- White Oil: 1-2 tbsp. to fry the prawns and the potatoes.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Sugar: ½ tsp.
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder: 1-2 tsp.
- At first heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a pan and fry the marinated prawns till the prawns become little golden yellow colour and keep separately.
- Now in the same oil with little turmeric powder and salt fry the diced potatoes until golden yellow. Keep the fried potatoes separately.
- Discard the fried oil now and add ghee into the pan and heat the ghee. Once it melts, add the cumin seeds into it. Let it splutter for few seconds and add the cinnamon sticks, cardamoms and cloves. Feel the fragrance and then add the onion paste into the pan. Stir it for sometimes and add the ginger and the garlic paste respectively into the pan. Mix them properly and after few minutes add the chopped tomato , and then salt, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder ,sugar respectively. Mix thoroughly and then add the fried diced potato . Cook until oil starts releasing from the sides of the pan.
- Add the water and cover the fan. Increase the flame little and cook until the potatoes become soft and tender and well coated with the spices.
- Add the prawns then and mix thoroughly and cover the pan. Cook it for more 5 minutes so that the spices can be mixed with the prawns also.
- Uncover and taste the seasoning. Add more salt or sugar if required.
- Serve with steaming hot rice garnishing the Prawn Kalia with chopped coriander leaves and enjoy.
Enjoy Your Food...!!