Khejur Gurer Kalakand/ Milk Cake with Date Jaggery..! I know it sounds little weird. Even I haven't tasted it before. But the other day, I was just in a mood of doing something different with my date jaggery.
So, after making chena,(cottage cheese) I started experimenting and made this milk cake. Believe me, the cakes were extremely delicious.
So, here goes the process of making Kalakand with Date Jaggery..!
- Milk: 2 lit.
- Vinegar :2 tbsp.
- Milk Powder: 4/5 tbsp.
- Cardamom Powder:1 tsp.
- Ghee: 1 tsp.
- Date Jaggery (liquid) : 1/2 Cup ( Adjust according to your choice)
- Chopped Almonds,Pistachios and Cashews: 2 tbsp ( Optional)
How to make Chena:
- Boil the milk at low temperature.
- While boiling add the vinegar and stir it .
- Your milk will start to curdle and chena (chena) will be formed after few minutes.
- When you will see a greenish diluted water which is easily separating from chena, then it's done.
- Now using a muslin cloth drain the water and wash the chena under the running tap water .If you are using lime juice to prepare chena, this wash will remove all the lemony taste or smell.
- Now tied the two ends of the muslin cloth tightly and let it drain all the excess water for at least 15-20 minutes. And at this time you may put a heavy weight on the muslin cloth for better draining.
How to make the sweet:
- Now mash the chena well using your hands and mix the liquid jaggery with it. Once it is mixed properly heat a nonstick pan in the oven.
- Add 1/2 tsp of ghee(clarified butter ) into the pan and add the cottage cheese and jaggery mixture and continuously stir it for few minutes.
- Then add the milk powder and mix well. After few minutes the mixture will become more thick and tend to release from the sides of the pan. Be careful so that the mixture can't be overcooked and burnt.
- Sprinkle the cardamom powder on the mixture and turn off the flame.
- Now take a flat plate or tray. Grease it with the remaining ghee and spread the prepared hot sweet on to it evenly,keeping it about 1/2" thick.
- Cool it inside the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.Your Kalakand is ready now. Cut it in square and serve garnished with chopped almonds, cashews and pistachios.
Enjoy Your Food..!