Steamed Chicken Curry…. Or Bhapa Chicken….A rapid and informal recipe which Maa prepares at home often when she has to cook something tasty for us in hurry. I collected the recipe from her long ago and since then thinking of making it at home but somehow forgot. Last Sunday while I was carelessly turning over the pages of my recipe notebook I found the recipe of the same and without wasting time made it. Now it’s the time to share that recipe with all of you. I hope you will not get disappointed after trying this.
Here it is:
- Chicken: 800 gm.
- Onion: 3 Large (Chopped)
- Ginger: 2 tsp. (Very Smooth Paste)
- Garlic: 2 tbsp. (Paste or Crushed)
- Yogurt: ½ Cup (beaten)
- Black Pepper Powder: ¼ th tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 2 tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp. (Adjust according to your tolerance)
- Green Chili: 2-4 (chopped or use as a whole)
- Cinnamon Sticks: 1
- Cardamoms: 2-3
- Cloves: 2-3.
- Mustard Oil :4-5 tbsp.
- Salt : To taste
- Sugar: ½ tsp.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken pieces at first. Then marinate it with 2 tbsp pf mustard oil, ginger garlic paste, yogurt, black pepper powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and green chili. Refrigerate the marinated chicken for atleast 2 hours.
- Then heat rest of the mustard oil in a deep bottomed vessel. Add the sugar and caramelize it. Now add the cinnamon sticks, cloves and cardamoms. Once the aroma comes out add the chopped onion and fry them in increasing flame until they become transparent and little brown in color. Don’t over fry .
- Now lower the flame to the minimum and add the chicken, mix thoroughly with the onions, add salt, mix and cover it . Cook it on a very low flame, covered for 20-30 minutes. Please don't forget to stir the curry in between You don’t need to add water as the chicken has been marinated with yogurt which will release lots of water and the chicken will be cooked. Once done uncover the vessel and taste the seasoning. Add more salt and sugar if required.
- Serve with steaming hot rice, pulao, naan, paratha or roti.
Note: If you want you may add potato cubes to the chicken curry too. In that case you need to fry the cubed potato separately till golden yellow with salt and turmeric powder and then add it to the vessel along with the marinated chicken. Cook until done.
Enjoy Your Food...!!!