Koi Fish ( Climbing Perch) is a very well known fish all over the Bengal. But in Mumbai, we generally don't get this fish. Thanks to the Bengali Fish Center which always supplies us different bong special fishes including Koi (Climbing Perch).
Generally at our home, Maa makes koi fish with mustard and poppy seed paste( Soon, I will share that recipe also ).But today, the recipe I am going to share is known as Tel Koi (Spicy Climbing Perch) which I have adopted from one of my friend. When I first time read the recipe, I was not sure whether it would be tasty or not. But later my all confusions went away when we tasted it with rice for our lunch. It was just damn good. My heartcore thanks to Pritha di, for such beautiful recipe.
So Here it is:
- Koi Fish:500 gm ( Scaled,washed and marinated whole with little salt and turmeric powder).
- Mustard Oil: Almost 3/4 th Cup
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp.
- Onion Paste:2 tbsp.
- Ginger Paste:1 tsp.
- Garlic Paste:1 tsp.
- Coriander Powder:1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder:1 tsp.
- Red Chili Powder:1 tsp.
- Fennel Powder:1 tsp.
- Tomato:1 Large( pureed)
- Green Chilies:4/5 (slit in half and de-seeded).
- Coriander Leaves:Chopped(for garnishing)
- Salt : To taste.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Deep fry the marinated fish and set them aside.
- Discard the fried oil and add some fresh . Heat and add the cumin seeds. Once they start to splutter add all the masala (spices) and the pureed tomato. Keep frying ,covered , in low flame until oil starts to release from the sides of the kadhai.
- Fry for 2 mins more in medium flame and continuously stirring the mix so that the spices cant stick to the bottom of the kadhai.
- Add salt and mix. Add the fishes and set flame to the lowest. Cook the fishes covered for 2 minutes.
- Turn the fishes over.Add green chilies and finely chopped coriander leaves and cook covered, for another 5/6 minutes on low flame.
- Uncover. Your Spicy koi or tel koi is ready.
- Serve it steaming hot fluffy white rice.
Enjoy Your Food...!