I am a self proclaimed tea lover. Even I don't hesitate to declare that I am just addicted to it since my college days. It's such a refreshing drink which survives me in my most miserable moment even. Every morning, a cup of hot tea just recharges me and keeps me on for the whole day. Similarly, almost at the end of the day, when I am fully exhausted, it soothes me completely .In my family not only me, my husband is also very much fascinated to this drink. I generally store different types of flavored tea in my kitchen pantry and keep on experimenting with those with my one and only tea partner , my hubby dear. That is the reason I am going to create a different section in my food blog, where I will be posting various tea recipes.
As an Indian I am starting this with the recipe of Indian Masala Tea, Masala Chai. It is basically black tea, brewed with spices and milk. Even there are different types of Indian Tea masala. I don't like to use any store bought ready made spice mix rather I make it in my own way. Moreover I am very choosy in the matter of selecting milk and tea leaves for my tea. Instead of liquid milk I prefer to use powder milk for my tea. "Nestle EveryDay Dairy Whitener" is my most favourite milk powder brand and "Tata Tea Gold" is my most favourite tea leaves brand.
Here is the process of making my version of Indian Masala Chai.
For two Cups of Tea:
- Water: 2- 2 1/2 Cups
- Milk Powder: 2 tbsp.
- Tea Leaves: 11/2 - 2 tsp.
- Ginger Paste: 1/4 tsp.
- Cardamom Powder: 2 pinches
- Sugar: 2 tsp ( adjust according to your taste)
- Saffron Strands: A Few.
- At first boil the milk in a deep bottomed pan. When it starts boiling take out 1/2 cup of boiling water separately.
- Add 2 tbsp of milk powder in the water taken out separately and dissolve properly
- Now add the tea leaves and sugar into the boiling water and brew very well.Add the ginger paste and mix well.
- Pour the prepared milk into the liquor. Mix thoroughly. Add the cardamom powder, Cover the pan and keep the flame low and simmer for few more minutes.
- Strain the prepared tea with a strainer into the cups and add few saffron strands and serve hot.
Enjoy Your Tea.....!