After the Goalondo Chicken Curry this is an another chicken preparation which I made following Purna Chowdhury's (Not only an excellent cook by passion but also she has a beautiful personality, for which I simply adore her) recipe.Still I don't know much about the genesis of the recipe but gathered little information from here and there, which I would be happy to share with you. Bohra is a small community within Ishmaili Muslims .Food plays an integral part of Bohra's daily life. Apart from the detectable and distinctive cooking style, there are certain traditional ways in which food is prepared and served.
Here is the recipe of Bohra Chicken Curry:
- Chicken: 1 Kg
- Oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Onions: 3-4 (chopped)
- Tomatoes: 2-3 medium chopped
- Ginger paste: 1tbs
- Garlic paste;1 tbs
- Turmeric: 1 tsp
- Green chillies chopped: 3-4
- Red chilli flakes: 1 tsp
- Yogurt: ¼ cup
- Salt: to taste
- Almond (5-6) ,Coriander (1 tsp), Fennel seeds (1tsp) and Green cardamom(3-4) : Ground all four to a powder to make it about 2-3 tbsp.
- At First, marinate the chicken with yogurt, chillies (both red and green) ginger and garlic paste, turmeric and salt (traditionally overnight, but 1-2 hours is also acceptable).
- Heat oil and fry the onions.
- Add the marinated chicken and sauté.
- When the chicken turns color, add the tomatoes and cook till the gravy turns red and the oil floats to the surface;
- Add the magical ground spices and let the chicken simmer till the aroma of fennel, cardamom come out.
- Wait till the gravy turns a seductive orange color and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with coriander
- No water is required.
- .Serve it with rice/roti /Polao.