What we Humans do???? It’s a big question and even having one of the brightest brains among all living species we actually end up doing the same stuff every day. Day after day the routine remains same. Having almost similar breakfasts in the morning then go to school or work, have almost similar lunches then same snacks and then the day ends with an equally unremarkable dinner. After having this routine continuously for 5 days we tend to go out on weekends to quench the thirst of our taste buds with some different cuisine. North Indians eat south Indian dishes and South Indians eat North Indian dishes and same with East and West Indian. Sometime we eat intercontinental like Chinese, Thai, Italian, and French or with ultimate boredom visit the freaking American food giants like KFC etc.
But one food which always fascinates us and which always pushes us to wanderlust in the highways is to eat some Dhaba Foods. They are always unique and each dhaba has its own signature method of cooking the regular day to day meals which makes it unique enough to lure us to visit them. We love to have the same chicken or fish curry there and it still makes our faces childlike happy after having them. But it is always not possible to go a Dhaba due to multiple reasons.
But you can change this dismal mood by bringing the Dhaba to your home. You can still have the same dish at your home and indulge your taste buds and your wanderlust mind. So let’s see how to make a Dhaba Style Fish Curry below:
So here comes the recipe for the Dhaba Style Fish Curry or Fish Salan :
- Fish Fillets or Steaks : 5/6 pieces
- Ginger-Garlic Paste: 4 Tsp.
- Tomatoes: 2 Large (Chopped)
- Mustard Oil : 3 Large Table Spoon.
- Coriander Powder : 3 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder : 1 tsp.
- Red Chili Powder : 3 tsp (Change according to your tolerance)
- Salt : To taste
- Lemon Juice : Juice of a 1/2 lemon
- Coriander Leaves (Optional) : To garnish.
- Fenugreek Seeds :3/4 seeds only
- Mustard Seeds : a few
- Cumin seeds : 1 tsp.
- Water : 2 Cups
- Marinate the fish pieces with turmeric powder, salt and 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste along with little oil and lime juice and keep it for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and shallow fry the pieces for few minutes from both sides. Once done take out the fishes and keep separately.
- Heat oil in a separate wok and temper with cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds. When the cumin starts to splutter add the remaining ginger garlic paste, chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Now add the turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and salt and mix well. You may add little water to mix the spices well.
- Cook till oil starts to release from the sides of the wok. Pour 1 cup of water into the wok and cover it up and cook until all the species mix very well and the gravy becomes smooth.
- Now uncover and add the fish pieces and mix the spices with the fish very well. After cooking 3-4 minutes add another cup of water from the sides of the wok. Cook for another 7-8 minutes in very low flame. Remember the curry doesn't have a watery gravy. Now check the seasoning and turn off the flame.
- Add the lemon juice now and give a very nice stir carefully so that it can be mixed up with the gravy.
- Dhaba Fish curry is now ready to serve. Enjoy It with Steaming hot rice.
Enjoy Your Food..!!!