Mustard Seeds, Fish, Mustard Oil....!!!Bengali People are very familiar to these names. They cant live with out fish ,on the same way, preparing any dish with mustard oil is the key secret of any Bong Delicacy.The Other day I have shared a different recipe of koi fish which I adopted from one of my friend and today I am going to share my mom's recipe . Usually in our house, most of the time maa prepares koi fish with mustard seeds paste . It's true that I don't eat most of the fishes, including this climbing perch but all the other members of my family sincerely enjoy this dish.Therefore I have grown a habit of making every type of fish/meat recipes for the sake of my family.I not only love to cook for them but also it's a matter of sheer joy to me when I see their satisfying faces after breakfast,lunch or dinner.
Anyway, lets come to the point now. Koi Machher Sorshe Jhal is a very simple recipe which requires very little time and only a few ingredients.
Here goes the recipe .....
- Climbing Perch: 6 Pieces
- Mustard Seeds Paste: 2 tbsp Paste
- Tomato: 1 (chopped)
- Mustard Oil:4/6 tbsp.
- Poppy Seeds Paste:1 tbsp.
- Nigella Seeds:1/2 tsp.
- Green Chilli:2/3 (slitted)
- Turmeric Powder:2 tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder:1 tsp.
- Salt: As per taste
- Water : 1 -1 1/2 cup.
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: for garnishing
- At first wash the scaled fishes and marinate them with salt and turmeric powder. Don't forget to add little oil during marination to avoid spluttering while frying.
- Then deep fry the marinated fish and set them aside.
- Now discard fried oil and add some more fresh oil.
- Heat it and add the slitted green chilli and nigella seeds.When they start to splutter add the chopped tomato.
- Fry the tomato for few minutes on medium flame and add the mustard seeds paste and then the poppy seed paste and mix well.
- Add little turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and mix for few minutes.
- Soon you will find that the spice mix tends to release the bottom of the pan.
- Now add the water. Bring it to boil.Add the fried fishes and cover.On medium flame cook until the fishes are cooked and becomes tender.
- Uncover and increase the flame little to adjust the gravy. Adjust the seasoning also.
- Once it is done, turn off the flame and pour a teaspoon of raw mustard oil on top.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve with hot steaming white rice.
Enjoy Your Food...!