Winter is the time for comfort, time for warmth and of course it is the time for good food. In this season,the market is flooded with seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables. As the winter arrives,everyone's wait for their favourite fruits and vegetables is just over. But the picture of winter in Bengal , where I was born and brought up is quite different from that of in Mumbai, where we presently stay. Basically there is no winter here. Though almost all winter veggies and fruits are available here also. Specially oranges, kiwis, strawberries , plums and many other fruits just cover the market and so as my fruit basket too. And if you are passionate about cooking , you can't restrict yourself from making something different with these fruits other than only eating them as whole or as juice.
Recently I made this Whole Orange and Almond Cake which was appreciated by family members very much. The recipe is little different but I loved the result simply.
- Oil or Melted Butter: for greasing:
- Oranges: 2
- Almonds: 50 gms (grounded)
- Plain White flour: 115 gm ( 1 Cup)
- Baking Powder: 1 tbsp.
- Unsalted Butter(softened) : 85 gms (1/4th Cup)
- Caster Sugar: 175 gm (7/8 th Cup)
- Orange Flower Water: 1 tsp.
- Orange Juice:2 tbsp.
- Eggs: 3
- Toasted flaked Almonds: 2 tbsp
- Strips of orange zest: To decorate the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degree C or 325 degree F.
- Grease a 23 cm ( 9 " ) round deep cake tin with softened butter or oil.
- Wash the oranges and then simmer them in boiling water for 1 hour ,covered, until soft.Drain and then leave them slightly to cool down. Peel them off and cut the oranges in half and discard the pip. Then make a smooth puree using a food processor or blender.
- Then blanch and peel off the almonds. Then using a blender ground them properly.
- Now Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl and add the butter, sugar , eggs and orange flower water,Beat well until the mixture is smooth. Add the orange puree, ground almond and the orange juice . Mix evenly.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface with a palette of a knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until firm and golden brown.I usually insert a toothpick into the cake to find out whether it is done or not. If it comes out clean then the cake is ready .
- Leave to cool in the oven for 2-3 mins.
- Then turn it out and serve warm with flaked almonds strips of orange zest.