Goan,Malwani and Konkani Cuisine are almost similar to each other and heavenly delicious. Goan Cuisine consists of regional foods popular in Goa, spread across the India's west coast along the Arabian Sea. Seafood, coconut milk and the local spices are main ingredients of Goan cuisine.Honestly my mouth is watering while I am talking about the goan or malwani foods,But sometimes we restrict ourselves to eat the malwani foods ,specially in Mumbai due to its very rich spiciness.But undoubtedly its flavour is just awesome.
So,this time I thought of preparing some goan pulao at my home in my own style and by reducing its spiciness.And the result was extremely good.We enjoyed the freshness of the prawns ,the flavours of curry leaves and the coconut milk,the non oily,non greasy rice without spiciness.I have also added paneer with it to make it more delicious.
Here is the recipe:
- Basmati Rice: 1 1/2 cups
- Fresh Prawns(medium/small sized):250 gms(head and tail less)
- Paneer:200 gms(cut in cubes)
- Ghee:2 table spoon
- Bay leaves:2
- Green Cardamons:4
- Cinnamon Stick:1 -2
- Onion:2 (thinly sliced) one is for making Barista (fried) and other is for cooking
- Turmeric Powder:1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice:1 tsp
- Green chillis:2-4(optional as per the taste)
- Coconut Milk:4-5 table spoon
- Salt/Sugar: As per taste
- Fresh curry leaves:4-6
- Coriander leaves : Fresh chopped for garnishing
- At first soak the rice in three cups of water for about twenty minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Soak the paneer cubes in luke warm water for 15 minutes with little salt and slightly fry them till little brown and keep aside.
- Shell, de-vein and wash prawns very well.Marinate them with little salt and turmeric powder and slightly fry them until pink and keep them aside.
- Fry the curry leaves in one tsp of oil and keep them aside.
- Thinly slice the onions.
- Make Barista with half of them.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onions.
- Keep stirring the onions so that they are evenly brown. Cook until the onions are light golden in color and take out the onions immediately because by the time you get all the onion out it will get a little darker.
- Do not over cook because if the onions get even slightly burnt, they leave a bitter taste.
- Then heat ghee in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Add bay leaves, cardamons, cloves, cinnamon .
- Once they crackle add rest of the sliced onion and sauté till pink.
- Add three cups of water, turmeric powder, lemon juice and green chillies.
- Bring it to a boil and add rice.
- Cook for a minute and add prawns and coconut milk.
- Season with salt and sugar. Stir light.
- Stir till rice absorbs all the water and then cover it with a lid and cook it on low heat till rice cooked.
- While the rice almost absorb 3/4 th of the water add the paneer cubes and mix carefully.
- Add the fried curry leaves ,mix and trun of the gas.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and barista.
- You may add scrapped coconut while serving.
Enjoy Your Food..!!!!