Immediately after our marriage, we were in Kolkata for a very short period of time. But I think it was one of the most beautiful periods of my life. During that time we had no such responsibilities...life was too easy to spend and we enjoyed each n every moment of it. We loved to roam here and there around the city on weekends.
There were few chinese restaurants near our home. Among them there was one from which most of the time we used to order our dinner .Though it was not a very popular or famous restaurant but the food was very good. I still miss their chilli chicken preparation. Then after couple of months we left Kolkata and since then I still didn't get any chance to go to that restaurant again . But I remember their delicious Indo Chinese Preparations. I wish I could rewind time or just get an option to enjoy their special chilli chicken .LOL...
Anyway, here is my version of chili chicken recipe which I prepare very often at home. As gravy chili chicken is our favorite I don't go for the dry version and prepare this with little gravy all the time. The process is not at all time taking or difficult. A very quick and easy process which goes very well with roti , paratha, chowmien or fried rice.
Here is the entire process:
- Boneless/Mixed Boned Chicken: 250 gm ( cut in small cubes)
- Onion: 2 Large (Diced)
- Ginger: 1 " ( Grated)
- Capsicum: 2 Large( Diced)
- Garlic: 12/15 cloves( Crushed)
- Black Pepper Powder: 1/2 tsp.
- Black Soy Sauce: 2 tbsp.
- Tomato Sauce: 1 Tbsp.
- Red Chili Sauce: 1 tsp.
- Vinegar:2 tsp.
- Cornflour : 2 tbsp.
- Salt:As per taste ( Be careful about the salt as soy sauce itself has salt in it).
- Spring Onion: 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Green Chilli: 2/4 (chopped)
- White Oil: 2 tbsp
- Water/Chicken Stock: 1 cup.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken pieces first. Marinate them with black pepper powder, half of the crushed garlic,grated ginger, 1 tbsp soy sauce ,vinegar ,corn flour and little salt . Mix thoroughly and keep it for 30 minutes to 1 hour preferably inside the refrigerator.
- Then heat the oil in a pan and fry the marinated chicken pieces till golden brown. Keep them on a tissue paper to absorb the extra oil.
- But don't discard the remnants of the marinade.
- Now discard the rest of the oil from the pan and heat the fresh oil (you may prepare it with the remaining oil too.)
- Add the diced onion, capsicum, garlic and saute for few minutes.
- Just after few minutes when the onions becomes translucent and the capsicum become soft add salt( I am writing once again,be careful while adding salt as soy sauce itself has salt), rest of the black soy sauce, tomato sauce and red chilli sauce.
- Cook for 4/5 minutes and add the fried chicken pieces and the remnants of the marinade.
- Cook 2/3 minutes and then pour the water or the chicken stock,whatever you are using.
- Cover and cook another 5/6 minutes. Adjust the gravy by increasing the flame according to your choice. Taste the seasoning. If required add little more salt.
- Finally add the chopped spring onion and green chilli . Give a quick stir and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with fried rice, chow mein, roti or paratha.
Enjoy Your Food...!!!!