মাছের টক ঝাল অম্বল is one of my most favorites. During summer when green mangoes were widely available Maa used to cook this for us .Almost everyday, we asked Maa to make this as we all simply loved this.
This is not only a mouth watering dish but also it is very refreshing in the scorching heat. But as my husband doesn't like the sour taste very much I don't prepare this very often. But once in a while when I prepare this I simply lavishly enjoy my lunch with steaming hot rice and recapitulate the beautiful days before my marriage.
The recipe is very simple and easy and can be prepared almost in no time.
- Fish: 4 Pieces ( Rohu/ Katla or any other fish of your choice)
- Amchur slices / Green Mango: 4 Pieces dry Amchur Slice or 1/2 of a very sour Green Mango
- Panchforon( The Bengali Five Spices) :1/2 tsp.
- Green Chili: 2/4 ( Slitted)
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder:1 tsp.
- Salt : As per taste
- Sugar:1/4th tsp.
- Mustard Seeds Paste: 1 tsp paste.
- Water: 1-1.5 Cups( Preferably warm)
- Mustard Oil : 2-4 tbsp.
- Fresh Corainder Leaves : For Garnishing.
- Wash and marinate the fish with little turmeric powder, salt and a tea spoon of oil.Keep it for just 5/6 minutes.
- Soak the amchur in slightly warm water for few minutes.
- Now heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadhai or wok and on medium flame nicely fry the marinated fish till golden yellow. Take them out of the wok and keep on a tissue paper to absorb the extra oil.
- Now discard the fried oil and heat rest of the mustard oil and add the panchforon. Once they start to splutter add the slitted green chili. Then add the soaked amchur . Saute for few minutes. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and the water in which the amchur slices have been soaked. Stir well.
- Now in a separate bowl dissolve the mustard seeds paste with little water and pour into the wok.
- Mix well and add the warm water. When the water starts to boil add the fried pieces of fish.
- Add sugar and salt. But be careful while you are adding salt as the store bought amchur slices have salt in it.
- Cover and cook until the fishes become soft.
- Uncover ,increase the flame and adjust the gravy according to your choice.
- Taste the seasoning. If required add more salt. Add one tsp of mustard oil on top.
- Turn off the flame and serve with steaming hot rice garnishing with fresh coriander leaves.
Tip: If you are using green mango then directly add them into the kadhai after the panchforon started to splutter. It doesn't need to soak in warm water.
Cut the green mango in wedges first after adding panchforon saute it with turmeric and salt for few minutes and then add the red chilli powder, and the dissolved mustard seed pastes. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes and add the warm water. When the water starts to boil add the fried pieces. The rest of the process is similar.
Enjoy Your Food...!!