Well,for all the bengali people chutney is one of the most important part for a complete meal before dessert and for me as well....In my childhood days,I never wanted to take lunch or dinner without it....so,ma used to prepare different types of chutney for me everyday...and now,as a mom I am used to do it for my 3 yrs old.ohhhh..!!! she is sooooo fond if it...!!!
And first time after tasting this plastic chutney she praised me ,"mamma, it's soooooo good".."tumi amar jonyo roj keno baniye dao na emon"(why dont you prepare it everyday for me)...!!
Plastic Chutney is really very good to taste and very easy to make....the word "plastic" is used because after cooking the thin pieces of papaya ,they become transperant as the plastic.....and about papaya..!! it's nevertheless to tell that it's a rich source of vitamins as well as minerals and fiber.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 medium Sized Papaya
- Sugar(as per your taste)
- Raisins,a few
- Lime juice:2-3 table spoon
- A pinch of Salt
- A pinch of Kalonji or Nigella seeds
- 1 tsp of white or veg oil
- Enough water.
- At first peel your green papaya very well and cut it into halves and remove all the seeds from the center. Must remove the little hard skin from the center.
- Now with a sharp knife cut very thin and small pieces of it.You can do it with a peeler too.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add the nigella seeds.When the seeds starts to splutter add the thin pieces of papaya.
- Add little salt and saute it for 2-3 mins.
- Add water to your pan.
- Let it cook for few minutes until the papaya become soft.
- When the papaya pieces become soft add the sugar.
- Let it cook and the chutney thicken to your desired consistency.
- Now finally add raisin and lime juice.(dont add the lime juice much earlier,because it can make your chutney bitter)
- Cook it for another 2-3 minutes.
- Your Chutey is now ready.serve it hot or chilled(I prefer chilled chutney).