Egg Chicken Roll is one of the most famous street food in Bengal. Be it a town ,semi town,city or even a village you will find at least one roll center in every nook and corner of it. I just want to inform my Non Bengali blog readers that if you get any chance to visit Bengal ,don't forget to taste this awesome street food.
When I was doing my masters ,there was a famous roll center near our University gate. Almost everyday at the end of the classes we, all the students crowded there for the amazing egg chicken roll. Inspite of that tremendous crowd we eagerly waited for this everyday and on our way to return back to the hostel not only we enjoyed that roll but also the whole time was just full of fun. Those vivid,sparking and endearing memories refresh me again again. So, the name of the egg chicken roll not only brings water in my mouth but also it gives me the pleasure of remembering some beautiful memories of my student life......
But with time everything changes. Now neither I could go back to my student like nor I could buy the chicken roll from that fast food center near my university gate. Even I don't know whether the chicken roll center was still there or not. But making those at home atleast I can cherish my present life and recapitulate those sweet memories with my daughter and my husband. Moreover my daughter simply loves to eat this . Therefore very often I make this at home .It's very easy to make, filling and healthy for kids and adult people too.
Here goes the recipe:
- Wheat Flour:2 Cup
- Boneless Chicken :200gm ( 1/2 " Pieces)
- Oil :2/3 tbsp + to shallow fry.
- Onion: 2 medium ( Chopped)
- Ginger Paste:2 tsp.
- Garlic Paste:2 tsp.
- Coriander Powder:2 tsp.
- Black Pepper Powder: 1 tsp,
- Turmeric Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Red Chili Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Tomato :2 (chopped)
- Salt:As per taste:
- Sugar: 1/4 th tsp.
- Lemon Juice:2 tbsp.
- Kasundi(Pungent Mustard Sauce)
- Onion: 2 Medium ( Very thin slice):
- Green Chili : 2 (chopped, optional)
- Chili Vinegar:2 tsp.
- At first mix the wheat flour with little salt, 1 tsp of white oil .Then gradually add water and make a soft yet firm dough. Cover it and set aside.
- Mix the chicken pieces with vinegar, 1 tbsp of oil,ginger garlic paste, chopped onion, tomato,salt,sugar, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and lemon juice. Marinate it for 30 mins to 1 hour.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl with salt.
- Now add oil in a pan and fry the chicken pieces until they become tender and soft and oil tends to release from sides. If required you may sprinkle little water too.
- But cook until it becomes dry . Turn off the flame and keep the chicken pieces separately.
- Now divide the wheat flour dough into eight equal balls. From 1 cup of flour you will get 4 pieces of equal sized balls.
- Now roll out each of the ball into a roundi roti. Apply some flour powder to make it quickly.
- Then in a flat tawa or pan roast the roti, one at a time slightly.Keep them aside.
- Now heat the same tawa again and sprinkle some oil on it and add 1/4 th of beaten egg on it.
- Immediately swirl the egg to form a roti size omelette. Before the egg sets, place a roti on the egg and press it gently.this will help the roti to stick to the omelette. Flip the roti when the egg is done and cook for 2-3 minutes. you can add little more oil at this time to make roti fried or roasted .
- Remove the roti from the flame and place it on a sheet or thick tissue paper. Stuff it with the previously cooked chicken pieces.Add the sliced onions, green chilies,salt ,1/2 tsp of kasundi on the egg side of the roti. You may add tomato sauce, chili sauce, few drops of lemon jiuce or whatever you want. Here I want to mention that we don't like tomato sauce or chili sauce with it. So I just add kasundi and lime juice.
- Now roll the roti, along with the paper over it, and give it a cylindrical shape.Cover the bottom of the stuffed roti with the paper also.
- Now it is ready to be served.For stuffing you can use left over chicken curry also instead of freshly prepared fried chicken.