Vindaloo is an Indian Curry dish popular in the region of Goa. It is the Cuisine of the Mumbai-based East-Indians.But globally it is famous as an Anglo-Indian preparation.
The name Vindaloo is derived from the Portuguese dish "Carne de Vinha d' Alhos", which is a dish of meat, usually pork, with red wine and garlic The Portuguese dish was modified by the substitution of vinegar (usually palm vinegar) for the red wine and the addition of red Kashmiri chillies with additional spices to evolve into Vindaloo.Alternative terms are vindalho or vindallo,[Source: Wikipedia].
In my family,I prepare mutton only for my hubby and rarely my daughter eats that. And this time I thought to prepare this when I saw a tempting pork vindaloo preparation in one of my favorite blogs.With very little variation using mutton I prepared this and nevertheless to tell that it turned out really good and satisfied my hubby.
Here is the recipe:
- Mutton: 1kg
- Potato:2 medium(large diced,you can avoid the potato also)
- Dried Kashmiri red chilli:10-12( though kashmiri chillies are not hot usually and mainly used for color but still you can reduce the amount)
- Mustard Seeds:1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cumin Seeds:1 tsp
- Black Pepper:1 table spoon
- Vinegar:1 cup
- Onions: 2 large(finely chopped)
- Garlic Cloves:8 Cloves (chopped fine)
- 1 inch Ginger:Make paste
- Cinnamon Stick:1
- Green Cardamon:3
- Mustard Oil:1/2 cup
- Salt:to taste
- Sugar: A pinch
- Hot Boiling water:3-4 cups
- Soak the kashmiri chillies in 1 cup of warm vinegar for 30 minutes.
- Fry the diced potatoes in oil with salt and turmeric till golden yellow in color and keep them aside.
- Then in a blender add the vinegar soaked kashmiri chillies,the rest of the vinegar,the mustard seeds,cumin seeds and the black pepper and make a very smooth paste.
- Now in a deep bottom vessel/kadhai,which would be used to cook, add the washed cleaned mutton pieces,along with the ground paste and the mustard oil and marinate it for 2 hours.
- Now add onion,garlic,ginger ,cinnamon,cloves and cardamon and mix well.
- Then place the kadhai on a high heat and then braise the mutton for 10 minutes stirring constantly.
- Now add the fried diced potatoes and add the water and then bring it to boil.
- Then add salt to taste,sugar and let it simmer for 1 hr.
- Add boiling water little by little as per the consistency and the meat is ready when the oil from the fat surfaces comes out and you are able to cut through the fat pieces smoothly.
- Serve it with steaming hot rice or roti /paratha or naan.
Enjoy Your Food..!!!