Sponge Cake is a cake based on flour(basically wheat flour), sugar and eggs ,sometimes leavened baking powder which has a firm yet well aerated structure similar to a sea sponge. It is a very basic cake and once its art of making is mastered you can easily prepare amazing birthday cakes. Not only the birthday cakes, with this basic recipe ,a lot of variations like cup cakes, pound cakes, pastry ,muffins, cup cakes etc. etc. can also be prepared very easily.
The process of making a sponge cake is very simple and easy. Following all the steps with little care and attention you will be able to make an extremely good sponge cake.
With this basic sponge cake recipe, I usually make cup cakes very often for my daughter.
Here is the process:
- Refined Flour: 225 gm.
- Butter: 250 gm.
- Vanilla Essence: A Few Drops
- Sugar:250 gm.
- Milk: 1/2 Cup.
- Dry Fruits: Raisins, Cashew or any other
- Tutti Frutti: A handful
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius. Place the cup cake lines into a cup cake mould. If you are making a pound cake then grease your baking pan with little butter and dust it with little flour.
- Break Eggs in a bowl and add the vanilla essence (remember the vanilla essence helps to get rid of the smell of the eggs. Beat well with an electric beater for 8-10 mins or till the ribbon stage.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar n an another bowl till fluffy with an electric beater at low speed for 2-3 mins.
- Sieve the flour into the creamed mixture, add the beaten eggs and mix well by cut and fold method. Add the remaining eggs and mix well.
- Add milk and mix well. At this time you may add the tutti frutti and dry fruits of your choice. Pour the mixture into the cup cake liners and fill 3/4 portion of each of the liners and place the baking tray into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a tooth pick inserted into each of the cupcakes comes out dry.
- Remove the baking tray from heat and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cupcake liners and serve.
Enjoy Your Food...!