With the gradual increasing price of onion in India, it has become really difficult to use onion lavishly in food especially for the common people. In Indian foods, the onion plays a very important role as it is used to prepare the main base of the curry. Specially for the non veg food preparations (e.g. Chicken and Mutton) , onion is considered as one of the most significant ingredients.
When for the first time I saw this recipe in the food album of one of my friends, I was attracted to it not only because it seemed delicious but also in this recipe no onion was used and the whole process was really very simple.
Therefore , the other day I tried the recipe with few variations when I found that there was almost nothing in my fridge except a packet of mixed boneless chicken. I should mention here that initially I had little confusion while preparing this as that was the first time I was making chicken without onion, but finally I was overwhelmed with the feedback got from my daughter and hubby.Even I simply loved this delectable chicken preparation.
Here comes the process:
- Boneless or Mixed Boneless Chicken: 250 gms.
- Yogurt: 1 Cup
- Salt: As Per Taste
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) :2 tbsp.(you may replace it with white oil or butter too)
- Hing ( Asafetida) : 1/4 th tsp.
- Sugar: A pinch
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1 Tsp.
- Cinnamon Stick: 1
- Cloves: 3/4
- Cardamoms: 2-3
- Bay Leaves: 1
- Chili Powder: 1tsp( adjust according to your taste)
- Heavy Cream: 1/2 cup ( You may replace it with low fat cream too)
- Kasori methi(Dried Fenugreek leaves) : 1 tsp. ( I didn't use)
- Mix chicken pieces with yogurt and salt very well and marinate it inside the fridge for atleast 1 hour.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamoms and bay leaves and let them fry for a while. When you start to feel the beautiful aroma add the ginger and the garlic paste and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces and mix well and then add the chili powder, asafetida powder and stir again. I didn't add salt anymore as I marinated the chicken with sufficient salt.
- Then cover and cook the chicken in very low flame until the chicken becomes soft and tender.
- It will take 20-25 mins . Then uncover and check whether the chicken pieces are done or not.
- Once the chicken is done and oil starts to release from sides of the pan, add the cream and sugar and mix well. Remember to beat the cream before adding. At this time you may add the kasori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and cook for another 4-5 mins on low flame but I didn't add it this time.
- Now check the seasoning, if required add little more salt or sugar.
- Your Creamy Chicken is now ready to serve.
- Serve it with naan, chapati, roti or paratha. you will simply love it also.
Tip: You may sprinkle little warm water at the end if you find it very dry.
Enjoy Your Food...!