Friday is considered to be a complete veg day at my home. I cook everything without even onion and garlic. And Naturally always it becomes too hard to me to decide what to cook on that day,so that the other two members eat without complaining. So, most of the Fridays I opt for Veg Khichuri (Khichdi) with loads of vegetables . This is not only easy to cook but also it's very filling, time saving and healthy too. Moreover my daughter and hubby love this too.
But before I start to write the recipe I should mention that this Niramish Khichuri is also called "Bhoger Khicuri" in Bengali because during puja (specially during Durga and Lakshmi Puja) we offer this to the Goddess with other fries and chutney and at the end of the Puja, it is distributed among all the devotee as "Prasad". So, it has an another exclusive importance in our life.
But it's a very simple and easy recipe and Maa used to cook this in a one step process. Following her process I also prepare it and it is really delicious.
Here is the recipe :
- Gobindobhog Rice ( Amber more Rice):3/4th Cup
- Mung Daal( Golden Gram Lentil):3/4th Cup
- Green Peas:1/4th Cup (fresh or frozen)
- Potato:2 Large (cut into halves or quarters)
- Cauliflower:1 Cup florets ( If you don't have, skip that)
- Ginger Paste: 11/2 tsp.
- Cumin Paste or Powder:1 tsp.
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp.
- Bay Leaves: 2
- Green Chili/Red Dry Chili:2/3.
- Turmeric Powder:1 tsp.
- Red Chili Powder:1 tsp. ( Though I don't use generally because of my daughter)
- Whole Garam Masala :1 Cinnamon Stick,2/3 Cloves and 2/3 Green Cardamoms.
- Salt:As Per Taste.
- Sugar:1/4th tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Water:3/4 Cups.
- Mustard Oil :2 tbsp.
- Ghee:1/2 tbsp.
You may add any other vegetables of your choice.
- Wash and soak the rice and the golden gram dal separately in water for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed vessel or in a pressure cooker and add the bay leaves and cumin seeds for tempering.
- Once the Cumin seeds start to splutter add the cinnamon stick, cloves , green cardamoms and the green/red dry chili.
- Once the beautiful aroma of the whole garam masala start to come out add the halved potatoes and the cauliflower florets. Add the salt and turmeric powder. Fry until these are little fried.
- Now add the soaked mung dal. Stir it very well.But be very careful so that it can't be burnt.
- After 2/3 minutes add the govindobhog rice and mix it thoroughly.
- Now add the ginger paste, cumin paste and the red chili powder.Stir continuously on medium flame. Once the raw smell of the spices goes off add salt and give a quick stir. Then pour the water and cover the vessel.
- Increase the flame little and cook until the rice ,lentils and other vegetables are almost done.
- Uncover and add the green peas.Cover and cook again until all the ingredients are mixed with each other properly and it has become mushy.
- Uncover and add little sugar . Cook for few minutes and taste the seasoning. Add more salt if required.
- Sprinkle the garam masala powder and turn off the flame.
- Niramish Bhoger Khichuri or Veg Khichdi is now ready to serve.
- Pour ghee on the top and enjoy.
Tip: To give it a twist and beautiful flavour sprinkle dry roasted cumin powder and finely chopped coconut.
Enjoy Your Food..!