Basa Fish is a type of Catfish and its scientific name is Pangus bocourti .These are native to Makong River Delta in Vietnam and Chao Phraya basin in Thailand. These fishes are not only very important in the food market ,but also those have a very good International value too.It is a fresh water fish and it is one of the world's most successful aquaculture species. It is rapidly becoming the most popular fish in Europe,North America and Australia.
These fast growing fishes produce large white fillets and have no bone. Its flesh is moist with a firm texture and has a very mild fish flavor. This feature makes the basa fishes one of the most versatile fishes in the food market . It is not only ideal for restaurants or take away meals but it is equally suitable as a table fish to cook at home and can be made in numerous ways and in various cooking styles.
The name Basa was chosen by Australian Fish Names Committee as the approved Standard Marketing Australian Name .(sources: Internet)
In Mumbai Basa fish is widely available almost everywhere but I never tried it before . Last time just out of curiosity my husband bought it and after a prolong thought I cooked it in South Indian Style with coconut milk and curry leaves. The result was outstanding .According to my hubby it was one of the most delicious fish preparation he had ever tried . And I was very happy as my daughter liked it very much.
Now I will make this fish curry again and again as this has become one of the most favorite dishes at my home and I would like to tell you , if you haven't tried this fish yet, try it once and you will simply love it.
Here is the entire recipe:
- Basa Fillets: Cut in small cubes, 500 gm .
- Onion: 1 medium (make a paste)
- Tomato :1 (pureed) ( or you may use store bought tomato puree too)
- Ginger Paste: 1/2 tsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1/2 tsp.
- Panch Foron( Bengali Five Spices) : 1/2 tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp ( adjust according to your choice)
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Cumin Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Salt :As per Taste
- Sugar: 1/4 th tsp.
- Coconut Milk : 1 Cup
- Oil: 2 tbsp.
- Curry Leaves: 15/16 pieces.
- Water: 1/2 Cup warm water (optional)
- At first wash and pat dry the fish and then heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non stick pan. Now fry the fish cubes very slightly on both sides. Take them out of the pan and keep them separately in a tissue paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Now in the same pan add little more oil and add the panchforon and half of the curry leaves. Once the panchforon starts to splutter add the onion paste . Fry till it becomes translucent.
- Add tomatoes and sprinkle little salt and cook until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste and the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander, cumin powder ,salt and sugar.Cook until the oil start to release from sides.
- Now add the coconut milk . Mix thoroughly. Once it starts to boil add the seared fish cubes into it. At this time you may add 1/2 cup of warm water and simmer for 10/12 minutes or until it comes to your desired consistency.Once the gravy becomes thick the flavor will be soaked by the fish fillets.
- Now heat little more oil in a separate pan and fry the remaining curry leaves separately and add the fried leaves into the curry.
- Keralian Style Basa fish is ready to serve . Enjoy it with steaming hot rice.
Enjoy Your Food.....!!!