Chicken is a popular and versatile meat which lends itself to cook in various ways in various flavors. Moreover it is really inexpensive and has various health benefits. Chicken Kosha or Spicy Chicken Curry is a Bengali preparation where generally marinated chicken pieces are slow cooked with various spices. I generally prepare Chicken Kosha without water. It goes so well with Roti, Paratha, Luchi or even any type of rice.
Here goes the entire process:
- Chicken Pieces: 500 gm( preferable curry cut)
- Onion: 3/4 (Medium,paste)
- Ginger: 11/2" ( Paste)
- Garlic:8/10 Cloves( Crushed)
- Yogurt: 1/4 Cup ( beaten)
- Tomato: 2 Small ( Chopped)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder: 11/2 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp.
- Black Pepper Powder:1 tsp.
- Salt: As Per Taste
- Sugar:1/4 tsp.
- Cinnamon Sticks:1
- Garam Masala Powder:1/2 tsp.(1-2 tsp of ground green cardamom, cloves and cinnamon)
- Mustard Oil:1/2 Cup
- Potato: 1 ( Large ,diced optional, I didn't use)
- Take the chicken pieces wash with warm water, pat them dry and marinate with yoghurt, 1/2 of the crushed garlic, 2 tbsp mustard oil, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder and black pepper powder.Keep it for 1.5 to2 hours covered.
- If you are using potatoes,then diced them and fry them with little salt and turmeric powder till golden yellow in color and keep them aside.
- Now heat rest of the mustrad oil in a deep bottomed vessel, add the whole garam masala, ( cinnamon stick, cardamoms and cloves .) When the aroma starts to come out add the chopped tomato and garlic. Sprinkle little salt. Once the tomato becomes little soft and the garlic becomes brown add the sugar and fry till brown.
- Now add the onion paste cook until it becomes translucent and then add the ginger paste , turmeric powder, rest of the chili powder,salt and mix well.
- Cook on low heat for sometime. Once the raw smell of the spices goes off add the marinated chicken.If you are using potatoes then add the fried potatoes at this time too.Then cook uncovered for few minutes. As the chicken is marinated with yogurt it will release lots of water and chicken will be cooked in it. So there is no need to add any extra water.
- Now cover pan and cook it on very low flame.Stir frequently in between so that the chicken pieces couldn't stick to the bottom.
- Cook until the chicken pieces are done very well and the oil starts to release from the sides.
- At this point you will see that the chicken curry tends to release from the pan.Now your Chicken Kosha is done almost. Increase the flame little and uncover the pan. Sprinkle garam masala powder, cover for a while so that the curry could catch up the aroma of the garam masala powder.
- Uncover and turn off the flame.
- Serve with roti, paratha, luchi or rice garnished it with fresh chopped coriander leaves.
Enjoy Your Food......!!!!