Summer in India is harsh , sweltering , uncompromising and very much exhaustive but still it is not unsparing.The most enjoyable thing of this season is the wide availability of various juicy and tasty fruits all over the country. Watermelon, lychee , muskmelons, fig, guava, orange and especially mango are vastly found everywhere. To beat the heat these fruits are just incomparable and these are extremely delicious too. These fruits are used in various ways to fight the rigid hot weather. Among all these fruits, mango is regarded as the king of fruit and it has no rival in taste. Green and the delicious ripe mangoes both are equally good for the summer days.Usually delicious ripe mangoes taste best when they are used as whole fruits. Besides this,the pulp of the ripe mango is used in making various drinks, juices and shakes.Green mangoes are generally used to prepare different types of pickles and chutneys.
Today I am going to share the recipe of Bengali Version of Green Mango Chutney. It's very refreshing during scorching heat and very delectable in taste also. The recipe is very quick, extremely easy and fuss free.
Here is the process:
- Green Mango : 1 Large ( Cut in small wedges or diced)
- Sugar: 1/2 Cup ( adjust according to your choice, you may use any store bought sugar free substitute too).
- Bengali Five Spices/Panchforon/Kalajeera(Nigella seeds) : 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seed Paste :1/2 tsp ( paste should be very very smooth )
- Turmeric Powder:1/4 th tsp.
- Salt: 1/4th tsp.
- Oil (white or any other) :less than 1 tsp.
- Water : 1 Cup.
- Wash and peel off the skin of the mango and cut in small wedges or dice it.Discard the seed in the middle. Then heat the oil in a pan or kadhai. Add the panchforon or nigella seeds and let it splutter.
- Once it starts spluttering add the mango wedges or cubes and saute it on medium flame for 2/3 minutes. While sauteing add the turmeric powder and salt.
- Now add the mustard seeds paste. Mix with the mango wedges very well.
- Now pour the water,increase the flame little and cover .Cook until the mango pieces are boiled completely.
- Uncover and add the sugar(don't add the sugar before the mango pieces are done because in the sugar syrup the mango pieces will not be boiled). Give a nice stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook for another few minutes and adjust the gravy according to your choice. Taste the seasoning. Add sugar/salt if required.
- Turn off the flame. Serve hot or chilled.
# Note: many people use bay leaves and chili ( dry red mostly) while tempering.But I dont like to use those . You may replace the sugar with jaggery also.
Enjoy Your Food...!!!