Prawn is a seafood that is found both in fresh as well as in sea water. These are basically a most popular variety of shellfish. The list of seafood recipes is simply incomplete without prawns. But mostly in a Bengali kitchen fresh water prawns are used to cook various dishes. The taste of any ordinary vegetable becomes extra-ordinarily good when it is cooked along with the prawns.
In a Bengali kitchen prawn is cooked in numerous ways and each and every recipe is no doubt delicious.Today I am going to share a trouble-free yet scrumptious prawn recipe which I have learned from my Mom.
Here comes the recipe:
- Prawns (medium sized, even small sized shrimps can be used too) : 200 gm.
- Mustard Seeds Paste: 1 tbsp.
- Poppy Seeds Paste: 2tbsp.
- Onion: 2 Large (Chopped)
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp.
- Salt: To taste
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp ( adjust according to your choice)
- Green Chili: 3-4 nos.
- Mustard Oil: 1 tbsp.
- Water:1/2 Cup
- At first clean the prawns (de shelled, de veined and decapitated) . I kept the heads intact as I got very fresh sweet water prawns this time. Now marinate them with little salt and turmeric powder and keep them aside for 10 -15 minutes.
- Now take a bowl. Add the poppy seeds paste, mustard seeds paste, chopped onion, green chili, salt, red chili powder, mustard oil and water. Mix thoroughly and make a paste.
- Now take a wok or medium sized pan and add the paste into it first and then the marinated prawns. Mix the prawns with the paste very well.
- Then place the pan in the gas oven and cook it on a very low flame covered. Keep on cooking until the prawns turn into nice pinkish yellow color, become very soft and the gravy comes to your desired thick consistency.
- Turn off the flame. Pour ½ tsp of raw mustard oil on the top .
- Serve with steaming hot rice, garnishing with chopped fresh cilantro or coriander leaves.
- Trust me,it tastes heavenly.
Enjoy Your Food..!!