Punjabi cuisine is related with food from the Punjab region of India and Pakistan. Among them the most common one is Chana masala or Chole. Chana masala ,also known as chole masala or channay or Chholay is a prevalent dish in Indian cuisine. It is popular mainly in northern India, and also remarkably in the region of Gujarat. In Gujarat and Rajasthani areas, it is commonly cooked dry, with tangy spices.
In India, it is often eaten with a type of fried bread and is known as “chole bhature”. It is commonly sold by street vendors but also can be found in restaurants.
In Kerala, white appam and Chana Masala is one of the main dishes for breakfast. Chana Masala is known as “Kadala Curry” amongst Keralites.
In this recipe, channa or chick peas are boiled with tea powder or tea bags to get a darken color. But I usually cook this without the tea powder or tea bags as I don’t like the blackish color.
Here comes the detailed recipe of chana masala :
- Chick Peas: 250 gms.
- Cumin Seeds: 1/4th tasp.
- Ginger: 1 tbsp (grated)
- Onion: 2 (finely chopped)
- Garlic: 3,4 cloves (minced)
- Tomato: 2 (finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp.
- Red Chili Powder : 1 ½ tsp.
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp.
- Chana Masala Powder : 2 tsp.
- Oil: 2 tbsp.
- Garam Masala Powder : 1/4th tsp.
- Water : 4 cups for boiling the chana + 1 cup for cooking.
- Soak the chole or chick peas overnight and boil it with 4 cups of water in a pressure cooker upto 2 whistles. Further cook it on simmer for 30 minutes. Check whether the chick peas become very soft or not. If not cook for some more time. When it is done, drain the excess water using a strainer and keep aside the cooked chick peas.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds start to splutter add the ginger and the garlic.
- Now add the chopped onions and tomatoes and add a pinch of salt. Fry till the onions becomes translucent.
- Now add the coriander powder and fry for sometime.
- Add the turmeric powder,chili powder, salt and the chana masala gradually and cook for sometime.
- Now it’s time to add the boiled chhole. Add it and mix thoroughly with all the spices. Cook until oil starts releasing from the sides of the pan.
- Pour 1 cup of water and cook for few minutes until the water dries up.
- Now sprinkle the garam masala powder.
- Turn off the flame and garnish it with onion rings and coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with puris, parathas, chapatis or rice.
Enjoy Your Food..!!