Polao/Pulao is a very conventional dish which mostly prepared in houses for celebrating special occasions. Especially Maa used to cook this on our birthdays and on few auspicious days. I learned this from her (my best teacher ever) and till now I always cooked the formal and conventional version of The Polao.
This time I thought of breaking the tradition by preparing something different and after a long thought I opted for Kashmiri Pulao .This is a sweet saffron polao loaded with loads of spices, fruits and dry fruits. If prepared properly then the aroma of this Polao has the capacity to astonish anybody at anytime.
The process is bit lengthy but the result is so wonderful that it worth the hardwork.
Here is the recipe:
- Long Grain Basmati Rice: 3 cups
- Powdered Sugar:1/4 cup
- Ghee:2 tbsp
- White Oil: 2 tbsp
- Saffron: 1/4 th gm(30-40 strands)
- Milk: 1/2 cups
Spices For Kashmiri Pulao:
- Shah Jeera( Caraway Seeds):1 tsp
- Bay Leaves:2
- Cinnamon Stick:2
- Whole Cardamom:4-5
- Nutmeg Powder:1tsp
- Cardamom Powder:1/2 tsp.
Vegetables/Fruits/Dry Fruits For Kashmiri Polao:
- Dry Fruits: 1 cup(cashews,raisins,almonds,walnuts,apricots or other dry fruits of your choice)
- Pineapple: 1 Cup(chopped)
- Apple: 1 Cup(chopped)
- Pear: 1 Cup(chopped)
- French Beans: 1/2 cup(Chopped)
- Carrot: 1 cup(thinly sliced)
- Peas:1/2 cup
- Cherries ,Tutti frutii,Pomegranate: For Garnishing
- Garam Masala Powder:1/4 tsp
- Salt : As per taste.
I must mention here that I followed one very good tips given by one of my beloved sis Payel. She suggested me to prepare the rice used for polao at the previous night and to keep the rice inside the fridge.It not only saves your time but also the rice you get for polao doesn't get sticky by any chance.
Overview Through Pictures:
How to make Saffron Rice:
- Take a big microwave safe bowl.
- Put the rice and the water.
- Add little garam masala powder and the white oil on it.
- Put the bowl inside the microwave oven on full power for 15-20 mins.
- This will make the rice till 70 % done.
- Drain the excess water and spread the rice over a flat plate.
- If you make the rice at the previous night keep the rice covered in the refridgerator .
- Soak the saffron strands in the luke warm milk for 15 minutes.
- Add the ghee on a kadhai and heat it properly.
- Then add the saffron soaked milk and the sugar and Mix very well
- Then add the rice .
- Mix carefully and sprinkle little water over the rice and cover.
- Cook on a very low flame for only 5-8 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and then spread the rice on a flat plate.
What to do with the dry fruits:
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee in the kadhai.
- Add the cashews,almonds and walnuts
- Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly add the raisins
- Turn off the flame and keep them aside.
Final Step : How to make Kashmiri Pulao:
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Once heated properly add the caraway seeds and fry it for 1 minute until the aroma comes out.
- Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and mace and saute it for 1 min.
- Now add the carrots and the french beans.
- Fry them lightly until they become little soft .
- At this point turn off the flame and wait for 2 min.
- Now add the nutmeg powder and the cardamom powder.
- Turn on the flame again.
- Add the previously fried dry fruits.
- Turn off the flame again.
- Add the cooked saffron rice.
- Mix it carefully with the spices and the fruits and vegetables.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Check the seasoning and if required you can add more powder sugar.
- Lastly sprinkle little garam masala powder over the rice.
- Then add the chopped fruits.
- Cover and cook on a very low flame for few minutes.
- Turn off the flame.
- Few drops of rose water may also be sprinkled.
- Garnish with any other fruits of your choice and serve.
Enjoy Your Foods..!!