French Onion Soup is one of the classic soup. It has been popular atleast as far back as Roman times.
It has a very rich flavour as caramelized onions are used .On the other hand the cheese thickens the broth (either chicken/veg/water) while the mustard paste imparts a heady pungent flavour.
Generally it is served with cheese croutons or cheese toppings. This soup is delectable simply.
Here is the recipe:
- Butter: 2 tbsp.
- Onion: 1 cup(thinly sliced)
- Cheese: 5 tbsp.(Grated) ,Preferable processed cheese.
- Mustard Paste:1 tbsp.
- Salt :To taste.
- For serving: Cheese/Fried Croutons.
How to make Fried Croutons:
- Take two slices of stale bread and remove the crust from the sides and toast them with little butter until they are golden brown from both sides.
- Cut in equal size small cubes.
How to make Cheese Croutons:
- Place the bread slices on a baking tray and bake in a pre heated oven at 200 degree centigrade or 400 degree F or till they turn golden brown in color( for about 7-8 mins).
- Then sprinkle 2 tbsp. of cheese evenly on each slice and bake them again in a preheated oven for at 200 degree C or 400 degree F for 10-12 mins or till the cheese melts.
- Serve melts.
French Onion Soup:
- Heat the butter in a deep non-stick pan and add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till then turn dark brown in color.
- Add 5 cups of water ,3 tbsp of cheese ,mustard paste and salt and mix well.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Just before serving, pour equal quantities of soup in soup bowls and place a cheese/fried croutons in the centre of each bowl.
- Serve immediately.