For the Indian, especially for the vegetarian people Dal or Lentil is the most frequent source of protein. Mixed dal which is prepared mixing three or four different types of lentils ,gives a very distinctive and nice flavour. Moreover, it is a complete protein pack preparation and needless to say that it's delicious, hearty, and full of nutrition.
Here is the process of making Mixed Lentil /Mixed Dal:
- Masur Dal( Red Lentil):1/4 Cup
- Mug Dal( Yellow Lentil):1/4 Cup
- Arhar Dal( Black Gram ):14 Cup
- Chana Dal(Bengal Gram Lentil):1/4 Cup
- Water: Enough .
- Ghee: 2 Tbsp.
- Bay leaves:2
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon Stick:1
- Green Cardamoms: 3-4
- Onion: 2 (medium) Chopped
- Green Chilli:3/4(Chopped)
- Tomato:2 (chopped)
- Ginger : 11/2"( Paste)
- Garlic Cloves: 4/5(Paste)
- Sugar:1/4 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder:1 tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder:1/2 tsp.
- At first mix all the lentils and soak them in water for 1 hour. This time I didn't find chana dal( Bengal gram lentil) in my kitchen pantry and that's why made this with the other three.
- Now pressure cook the soaked dal with enough water up to 4 whistle.
- When it's done keep the boiled dal in a big bowl and heat the ghee in a deep bottomed kadhai or wok.
- Add the cumin seeds and the bay leaves first. When the cumin seeds start to splutter add the whole garam masala( cinnamon sticks, cloves and cardamoms).
- Feel the fragrance and add the chopped onion.
- Saute them until brown.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add the ginger and the garlic paste. Mix well.
- Add chopped green chilli,turmeric powder, salt,sugar. Stir all the spices very well.
- Cook on medium flame until oil start to release from the sides of the wok.
- Now add the boiled lentils into the kadhai.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Cook until your desired consistency .Check the seasoning.
- Add little more salt if needed.
- Now in a separate pan with a tsp. of ghee fry the garam masala powder for just a minute.
- Pour this mixture of ghee and garam masala powder into the kadhai and cover for a minute so that the dal captures the aroma of the garam masala powder.
- Now your mixed lentil is ready to serve.
- Serve it with roti,nun,paratha, steamed rice or polao,garnished with coriander leaves .
Enjoy Your Food..!!