Raw Jack Fruit and the Prawns..! This awesome Bengali combo always reminds me of my childhood days. Maa , made this preparation very frequently in summer when raw jackfruits are widely available everywhere. We, eagerly waited for the lunch time whenever she made this curry. Needless to say that she makes this curry extra-ordinarily good like her other Bengali dishes . I am no where near her but try to follow her each and every direction very carefully to bring an almost similar taste.
The process is not very difficult. Here comes the recipe:
- Green/ Raw Jack Fruit:500 gm.
- Prawns: 250gm( medium sized, shelled, veined)
- Potato:2 Large(Diced)
- Onion:2 Medium( Paste)
- Ginger:1''( Paste)
- Garlic:4-5 Cloves( Crushed/Paste)
- Bay Leaves:2
- Garam Masala Powder:1tsp.
- Salt: As Per Taste
- Sugar:1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder:1 tsp.
- Chilli Powder: As per your choice
- Ghee/Clarified Butter:1 tsp.
- Mustard Oil:4-5 tbsp.
- Water: As per need.
- At first peel off the green jack fruit and cut it into small pieces. For me it's really a big deal. Make sure to rub little mustard oil in your hand and then carefully cut it so that the sticky latex cant stick to your hands.
- Peel off and dice the potato also.
- Take a pressure cooker, add enough water and little oil and then add the jack fruit pieces and potato and cook it upto one whistle.
- Drain the excess water using a colander.
- Meanwhile marinate the washed, peeled shrimps with salt and turmeric powder and fry them with little oil until pink in color. Don't fry the shrimps too much.
- Then heat mustard oil in a deep bottomed wok or kadhai. Add the bay leaves and then the garlic paste and sugar.
- When the garlic paste and the sugar become brown in color , add the chopped tomato.
- Cook until the tomatoes become soft.
- Add the onion paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ginger paste and let it fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now it's the time to add the boiled jackfruit pieces and the potatoes.
- Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and cook until the oil starts to release from sides.
- Now add the prawns and mix with all the spices very well.
- Add little water at this time and cook for only 4-5 minutes. You don't have to cook for a long period of time as the potatoes and jack fruits are boiled previously. Cook till your desired consistence.
- Check the seasoning. Add little more sugar and salt if needed.
- Now using a different pan, fry the garam masala with the ghee for just a minute only and add the fried garam masala powder into the curry and cover for a while so that the aroma gets absorbed by the curry.
- Turn off the flame and serve with plain hot rice.
Enjoy Your Food..!!