Chicken is the most common type of poultry in the world, and is prepared as food in a wide variety of ways, varying by region and culture. It is the only meat which can be prepared very easily even. Onion Chicken is one of the most easy recipes which has a great taste . I have come to know about this preparation, from one of my very good friends, Juin di. I did few variations of her recipe but needless to say that it turned out awesome.
Here comes the recipe:
- Chicken:1 kg
- Red Onion:5/6 large(thin sliced)
- Ginger:112 " (Paste)
- Garlic:12-15 Cloves(Crushed/Paste)
- Yoghurt:4 Tbsp.
- Chilli :2-4 Table Spoon Paste or as much as you want(I used only 1/2 tsp. as my daughter cant eat very spicy and hot food)
- Whole Garam Masala:1 Cinnamon Stick, 3-4 Cloves and 4-5 green cardamoms.
- Salt: As per taste
- Sugar:1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder:1 tsp.
- Mustard Oil: 5-6 tbsp. ( in absence any other cooking oil is ok also)
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed vessel and then fry the onion slices with little oil until brown.
- Take them out of the vessel and soak the excess oil with the use of a kitchen napkin.
- Make a paste of the more than half of the friend onion then.
- Now take a big mixing bowl and mix the chicken with the friend onion paste, yoghurt, ginger, garlic paste, chilli paste and turmeric powder .
- Marinate it for about 1-2 hours.
- Then heat mustard oil again in the vessel and add the sugar first and fry it until brown. Then add the whole garam masala. Wait until you feel the frangrance and then add the rest of the fried onions and the marinated chicken and braise it on high flame for few minutes. Add salt and mix well.
- Lower the flame and cover it and cook until the chicken is done.
- Once the chicken becomes soft and tender uncover it and stir the chicken well with all the spices. Then garnish it with little more fried onions. Your Onion Chicken is now ready to serve.
- Keep in mind that this chicken preparation is a little dry dish having a less gravy which only covers the chicken pieces . So you don't need to add water.
- It's best when served with roti, naan or paratha.
Enjoy Your Food..!