All of you must heard about the Meatless Monday, whose goal is to help reduce meat consumption by 15 %. They Claim that there are surprising health and environmental benefits to eating meat free once a week. The first reason may surprise you, but it is actually better for the environment. Meatless Monday cites The United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization, estimating that the meat industry generates nearly a fifth of the man-made greenhouse gas emissions. That's more than transportation effects our climate! Eating meatless one day a week can reduce your carbon footprint!
The second benefit is that you can reduce your saturated fat intake and your cholesterol intake if you replace the meat in your diet with the right things. The third benefit is a boost in your intake of antioxidants, bioflavanoids, fiber, polyphenols, micronutrients and the list goes on and on.
But it's not Monday, I declare Friday as a complete vegetarian day at my home. It's really a tough task for me to cook something on that day, because the other two members specially the 4 year onld little one only takes her sit for lunch and dinner if she could find fish or chicken as the side dishes.:D
Anyway, Paneer or the cottage cheese is the best for the vegetarian preparation. We, the Bengali people don't even use onion and garlic while we prepare any veg dishes. Therefore this is the version of Paneer Malai Kofta Curry (cheese balls in creamy gravy) where no onion and garlic have been used.
Here comes the recipe:
For the Koftas (Cheese Balls):
- Potato:3 Medium( boiled and mashed)
- Paneer(Cottage Cheese): 200 gms
- Besan( Gram Flour):4-5 tbsp.
- Salt to Taste
- Red Chilli Powder:1/4 tsp
- Oil:For deep frying.
For the Gravy:
- Tomatoes:4 (chopped)
- Asafoetida(hing): A pinch
- Cumin Seeds:1/4 tsp.
- Kasoori Methi( dried fenugreek leaves): 2 pinches.
- Coriander Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Tumeric Powder:1/4 tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder:1/4 Tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Oil:2 tbsp.
- Heavy Cream:1/2 cup
- Water :1 Cup.
Making Fried Kofta( Cheese Balls):
- Wash, Peel and boil the potatoes. Mash it and mix it with grated paneer,besan together. Use your hands to mash them very well.
- Add Salt and red chilli powder and mix again.
- Now make small and even balls out of the mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry them till they turn golden brown.
- If you have a problem with deep frying you may coat them with little maida(wheat flour ) and then deep fry.
- Now your Koftas are ready. Keep them aside.
Kofta Curry (Cheese Balls Curry):
- Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a pan.
- Add asafoetida and cumin seeds and as they crackle add the grated ginger to it.
- As the ginger turns brown, add the chopped tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and mix well ,till the mixture starts leaving oil.
- Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
- As the mixture cools down grind the mixture using a blender.
- Again turn on the flame and add the blended mixture into the pan.
- Add salt,chilli powder and the kasoori methi and cook till oil starts to release from sides.
- Now whip the cream ,mix it with water and add it to the pan.
- Bring it to a boil, lower the flame and cook until a slightly thick and properly cooked gravy is formed.
- Add the fried koftas carefully into the gravy and on very low flame simmer it for another 3-4 mins.
- Turn off the flame and sprinkle little garam masala powder on it.
- Now your Malai Kofta Curry is ready to serve.Serve it with roti, paratha, nun or pulao.
Enjoy Your Food...!!!!!!!