That day I was feeling so slothful ,work-shy that I wasn't even in mood of entering inside the kitchen. Therefore asked hubby to go out for dinner. He is such a person who always loves to do experiment with different foods and doesn't want to go to the same restaurants repeatedly. On that day, he drove us to the Goa Portuguesa Restaurant, where we never went before.
The food was extremely good there and the chicken item ( Chicken Xacuti) we tried was completely new to us but we simply loved it.
As usual after returning home, opening my Laptop,when I started my research on the recipe and ingredients for the marvellous dish we had , I found that Chicken Xacuti (Konkani Word, often pronounced as "Shakuti") is a curry, prepared in Goa (India) with complex spicing, including white poppy seeds, sliced or grated coconut and large dried red chilies. It is usually prepared with chicken or lamb. It is also known as chacuti in Portuguese .
I found multiple recipes but almost in all of them the process was very complicated so finally combining two or three of them I made it yesterday for dinner in my own way. I didn't expect that it might turn out so good but one thing I must mention here that it was one of the most laborious preparations I have ever prepared but I was really delighted with the result.
Here is the recipe (I tried to simplify the recipe as much as possible):
1.For Marinating Chicken:
- Curry Cut Chicken: 500 gm.
- Salt: As Per Taste
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp.
2. For Paste 1:
- Onion: 2 large(thin sliced)
- Grated Coconut:1 cup
Take a pan and add little white oil. Fry the sliced onion along with the grated coconut until they become brown in color. Grind them to make a smooth paste. While grinding you may sprinkle very little water.
3.For Paste 2:
- Kashmiri Dry Red Chilli: 2-3
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander Seeds:1/2 tsp.
- Black Peppercorn : 1/4 tsp.
- Poppy Seeds: 11/2 tsp.
- Fennel Seeds:1/2 tsp.
- Cinnamon Sticks:1
- Nutmeg Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Star Anise: 2
Dry Roast the above ingredients in a pan until full fragrant and grind them to make a powder and keep it aside.
4.For Paste 3:
- Ginger: 1 " (chopped)
- Garlic:5-6 cloves
- Coriander Leaves: 1 Cup Chopped (with stem)
- Tomato:1 Chopped
- Green Chilli: As per your taste (I used only one)
5. Other Ingredients:
- White Oil: 1 tsp.
- Ghee (Clarified Butter): 2 tbsp.
- Onion: 1 Large (Chopped)
- Sugar: A Pinch (Optional)
- Water: 2 Cups
- At First wash the chicken properly and marinate it with salt and turmeric powder for about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile make Paste 1, Paste 2. and Paste 3.
- Now heat the ghee in a deep bottomed vessel and add the chopped onion and fry until it becomes tender.
- Add the chicken and fry it on very high flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce the flame and add Paste 2 and mix it with the chicken pieces very well.
- Cook it for another 4-5 minutes.
- Now pour the Paste 3 and mix the paste very well with the chicken and on medium flame cook it for some time.
- Now add two cups of water and cover until the chicken pieces become very tender( you may require more water for this).
- Open the lid and add the paste 1 (coconut and onion paste) and cook for few minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Taste the seasoning and adjust the gravy (at this time you may sprinkle little sugar).
- Cook it for another 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame ,garnish it with coriander leaves, sliced lemon and serve it with roti/nun or steamed rice.
Enjoy Your Food....!!