Mocha Chingri ( Banana Blossoms and Prawn Curry) is an authentic Bengali delicacy which I love since my childhood and learned to cook from my mother only. But cleaning this vegetable properly is really a very tough job for me. For this reason I very rarely cook this . But I must admit that my extreme mocha lover husband all the time helps me in this respect.
Anyway, here is the process of making Mocha Chingri :
- Mocha (Banana Blossoms) : 1 large
- Prawns : 100 grams, small peeled and de-veined
- Potato - 1 medium (diced in very small cubes)
- Coconut Milk: 1/2 Cup
- Whole Cumin Seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Bayleaf - 1 medium.
- Ginger - 1 tsp, ( Paste)
- Cumin powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar - 1tsp.
- Dry Red Chilli:2
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Oil (Mustard) :4 tbsp.
- Garam Masala Powder:1 tsp.
- Water: 2/3 Cups.
Mocha/ Banana Blossoms:
- Remove the blossoms after peeling away the outer leaves and clean. Chop finely.
- Now Take a pressure cooker and add the chopped banana blossoms and 2 cups of water Add little salt and oil.
- Cook it upto 3/4 whistles.
- Drain the excess water using a strainer.
- Keep it aside.
- In a deep bottomed vessel heat little oil and fry the cubed potatoes until golden yellow . Add little salt and turmeric powder while frying them. Keep them aside.
- Now in the same pan heat little more oil and fry the prawns slightly with little salt and turmeric powder. Keep the prawns separately .
- Heat 2 tbsp of mustard oil in a deep bottomed vessel and add the cumin seeds,dry red chili and bay leaves.
- When the cumin seeds start to splutter add the boiled blossoms and fried potato and mix well.
- Then add the salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder and the ginger paste.
- Mix the blossoms with all the spices very well and cook until the oil start to release from the sides.
- Now mix the coconut milk with 1 cup of water and pour into the curry. Sprinkle little sugar on it and mix.
- Cover and cook on medium flame until the blossoms become mushy and the potatoes are boiled.
- Uncover , add the prawns and mix well cook for few minutes.
- Check the seasoning and sprinkle the garam masala powder and pour the clarified butter (ghee) on the top.
- Turn off the flame . Now your banana blossoms and prawn curry is ready to serve.
- Serve it with steaming hot rice.
Enjoy Your Food..!