Chingri Bhapa or Steamed Prawns is a very famous Bengali recipe where usually prawns are cooked in very low flame with the poppy seed paste and mustard paste. But this time, I made it with a little twist . Actually,I adopted the recipe from one of my dearest friends and sisters, Sanchita .
It is also a very simple and easy recipe where the prawns are slow cooked with onion, and ginger garlic paste instead of mustard seed and poppy seed paste. Nevertheless to tell that the taste was really good.
Here is the complete recipe:
- Prawns: 250 gm.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp.
- Salt: As per Taste
- Chili Powder: 1 tsp( Optional)
- Sugar: A pinch
- Onion Paste: 4 tbsp.
- Ginger Paste: 1 tsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1 tsp.
- Tomato: 1 chopped
- Mustard Oil: 3-4 tbsp.
- Cinnamon Stick: 1/2
- Green Chili: 1/2 ( as per your taste)
- Clean and wash the prawns properly. Though I didn't remove the head and the tail of the prawns, but you may remove those.
- Take a big bowl and mix the washed prawns with all the ingredients properly.
- Transfer the prawns in a stainless steel container( or any other heat proof bowl) and cover it tightly.
- Now Take a deep bottomed vessel and put the container into the middle of the vessel .
- Then fill the vessel with water upto a little below the lid of the box.
- Now cook it on a very low flame until the prawns become tender and soft and well coated with all the spices.
- Uncover the box and sprinkle little raw mustard oil on it and serve hot with rice.
- Alternative Way:
- You may cook the prawns directly using a pan. Just put the mixed prawns into the deep bottomed vessel and cover.
- Cook it on a very low flame until the prawns are cooked.
Enjoy Your Food...!