Every time the green mango flavor takes me back to my upbringing days when I was in school , college or university. My mom used to prepare different types of pickle with the green /raw mangoes and stored up them for all of us , for the rest of the year. Those days were just like a wealth treasure in my life. Me my brother , sometimes along with our cousin sisters and brothers stole the pickle from Maa’s cooking pantry during our summer vacation days and the practice of stealing was not less than a venture to us.
As Maa prepares mango pickle fantastic, I never ever tried to make this even after my marriage. All the time she makes different types of pickles and keeps reserve it for me and I just collect them during the time of my stopover there.
But this time I just couldn't curb myself from doing a little experiment with the raw mangoes, as you all know that I am just a cooking freak. Though the process is easy like anything and anybody can make it , still I am exceedingly happy as my little one has liked it . Though she is very young still she is very particular about the foods she likes to eat.
One more thing, this is my first experimental pickle recipe. So please bear with me. I promise I try to improve my skill in this field also.
So, here comes the process of making my easiest description of Sweet and Sour Mango Pickle.
- Raw Mango: 3 (roughly grated)
- Sugar: 2 Cups ( depending upon your choice or the sourness of the mango)
- Salt: As required.
- Chili Powder: 1 -2 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder:1/2 tsp.
- Nigella Seeds : 1/4 th tsp.
- Dry Roasted Cumin and Coriander Seeds: 1 tsp each and then ground to a coarse powder.
- Lime Juice: 2 tsp.
- At first wash and pat dry the green mangoes. Peel off the skin and then coarsely grate them using a hand grater.
- Then take a big bowl , put the grated mango into it and mix it with salt, sugar, turmeric powder, chili powder and lime juice. Mix thoroughly and keep it almost for half a day (5-6 hours) preferably in the sunlight.
- Now heat a kadhai or wok in the oven and pour the mango mixture into it. On medium flame cook it until it becomes glossy and thick.
- Check the salt and sugar. Add more if required.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool for sometime.
- Once it becomes cool completely sprinkle the roasted and cumin and coriander powder and mix well.
- Transfer the pickle into a sterilized bottle or jar.
- Store in the refrigerator. It will be good for at least 5/6 months if stored inside the fridge and it will be good for at least two and a half month if it is stored at the room temperature.
Tip: You may use jaggery also instead of sugar.
Enjoy Your Food...!!!