Since last few weeks, I got little bored of making almost similar type of chicken or mutton recipes at the weekends for my family. Desperately I was looking for something new. Then none other than my beautiful sister Sanchita helped me out. She suggested me one of her little off bit chicken recipe, which she called Goanese Chicken Curry. Without a second thought I prepared it for my family and nevertheless to tell that everyone liked it. You can choose this recipe for your weekend indulgence or even for your guests. Very obviously everyone will praise your dish.
Let’s start discussing the recipe now.
- Chicken (I used Curry Cut pieces): 750-800gms.
- Prawns/Shrimps: 10-12 nos. medium sized (decapitated, shelled and de veined)
- Onions: 2 (thinly sliced and fried, Barista) .
- Black Pepper Powder: 1tsp.
- Cardamom and Cinnamon Paste: 1 tsp.
- Crushed Garlic: 1 tsp.
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 2 tsp.
- Yogurt: ½ cup
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp.
- Green Chili: 2-4 nos. (chopped or paste)
- Salt: As per taste.
- Sugar: ½ tsp.
- Vinegar: 1 tsp.
- Mustard Oil: 2-3 tbsp (For Cooking)
- White Oil : 1/2 Cup for frying the chicken
- Water: 1 ½ Cup.
- At first make the friend onions or barista carefully . The key to make crispy fried onions is thinly sliced onions. Yes, so thin that you can even see through the slice . Heat oil in a wok/kadai on low heat. Make sure the oil is only hot enough so that when you add the onions it sizzles. Add all the onions to the kadai ,the onions should submerge in the oil. Let it cook till it bubbles. And then turn up the heat to medium.
- Once the onions go to the light golden color, it doesn't take much time to go to brown and dark brown.
- Remove the onions and let them drain the excess oil keeping them on a tissue. Your barista or crispy fried onion is ready to use now.
- Marinate the prawns with little salt and turmeric powder meanwhile and heat little oil in a separate pan and slightly fry them. Put the fried prawns in a blender and blend them till it becomes smooth. Keep the paste separately.
- Now marinate the chicken pieces with the cardamom-cinnamon paste, green chili paste,1 tsp of crushed garlic, black pepper powder, salt, vinegar and a pinch of kashmiri red chili powder and half of the yogurt. Keep the chicken into the refrigerator at least for 2 hours.
- Now heat the white oil in a deep bottomed vessel and fry the chicken pieces carefully. Take them out of the vessel and keep separately.
- Now discard the friend white oil and add the mustard oil in the same pan. Add the ginger garlic paste. Cook for few minutes on low flame and then add the rest of the kashmiri red chili powder. Add the rest of the yogurt ( beaten with a pinch of white flour and water to avoid curdling) and cook on medium flame for few minutes.
- Now add the prawn paste and mix generously. If required, you may sprinkle little water at this time and mix properly. Add the friend onions or barista. Sprinkle little more water.
- Then add the salt and sugar and give a nice stir. Add the fried chicken pieces now and mix thoroughly.
- Cook the chicken until oil starts to release from the sides of the vessel.
- Add the water now and cover. Cook until he chicken pieces are done properly and become soft and tender.
- Uncover and check the seasoning. The goanese chicken curry has a thick gravy so don’t make it very watery.
- Once you get your desired consistency, turn off the flame and serve the chicken garnished with fried onions and prawns.
Enjoy Your Food...!!!