Friday is considered to be a vegetarian day in my family all the time. On that day I don’t even use onion and garlic in any of my preparations. Most of the time, therefore I prefer to cook paneer dishes( Indian Cottage Cheese). On this Friday I made shahi paneer with Bengali sweet pulao. Previously I shared an another recipe of Shahi Paneer where I used onion and garlic and today going to share the no onion /no garlic version of that recipe.
Here comes it …
- Paneer -200gms (cut in cubes)
- Cashew Nuts-12(soaked in warm milk for 10-15 mins)
- Tomatoes-2 nos (chopped and puree)
- Green Chili -1 nos (paste)
- Ginger-1 inch (paste)
- Asafetida / Hing – A pinch
- Bay leaves-2 nos
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1/4 tsp (adjust to taste)
- Yogurt-1/2 cup
- Sugar-1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil-3 tbsp
- Cinnamon Sticks:1
- Cardamoms:3-4 nos.
- Cloves:2-3 nos.
- Sha jeera ( Caraway seeds)-1 tsp
- Bay Leaves:2
- Water: 1 Cup.
- Cream : 2 tsp.
- At first cut the paneer into cubes and soak them into warm water with little salt for 10 minutes approximately.
- Now heat little oil into the pan and sauté the soaked paneer cubes with little turmeric powder slightly.Keep them aside.
- Soak the cashewnuts in warm milk and make a smooth paste of it. Keep separately.
- Chop the tomatoes and blend it. I want to mention here that I didn’t blanch my tomatoes but if you want go for that.
- Now heat the oil into the pan. Once it becomes hot add the cinnamon sticks, cloves ,cardamoms, bay leaves and the caraway seeds. Once the nice aroma comes out and the cumin seeds start to splatter add the tomato puree into it. Sprinkle little salt . Stir it continuously on medium flame and then add the ginger paste and the asafetida. Mix thoroughly.
- Now add coriander powder,turmeric powder,red chilli powder.Cook the mixture,stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes. Cook until oil starts releasing from sides.
- Add sugar, cashew paste and yogurt. Cook for another few minutes minute and then add 1 cup of water and salt . Mix thoroughly and bring it to boil.
- Add paneer and cover the pan. Simmer for a few minutes over medium to low heat, till the gravy becomes little thick in consistency. Don’t keep it very watery or too tight.
- Turn off the flame. Pour the cream on the top , garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve with roti , paratha naan or polao.
Enjoy Your Food...!!!